6 Fruits & Vegetables That Are Toxic To Dogs
Many people like to share food with their dog, but that is not always a good idea!
We have to remember that what is great and tasty for us can be extremely harmful for our pets.
If you think your dog has been poisoned contact your vet immediately.
Grapes and raisins
Many people don´t know that grapes and raisins are toxic to dogs. They are very toxic, and you should never feed your dog grapes or raisins. Any quantity of these can be toxic.
Grapes and raisins can lead to kidney failure and irreversible kidney damage in dogs. The exact substance that causes the toxic reaction is not yet known. Even a small amount ingested can be fatal to your dog.
Onions & Garlic
Onion is a very common ingredient in many meals. That is another reason why you shouldn´t feed your dog leftovers. Allyl propyl disulfide is the main cause of onion poisoning in dogs. Onions also contain an ingredient called thiosulphate which is toxic to dogs. Onions don’t have to be raw to be toxic.
The ingestion of onions can cause a condition called hemolytic anemia which causes oxidative damage to the red blood cells. The abnormal breakdown of red blood cells can be life-threatening to dogs.
Garlic is also toxic to dogs and is considered to be about 5X as potent as onions.
Cherries are very delicious but can be harmful to dogs. The plants and pits contain cyanide. Cyanide can cause respiratory failure and death if ingested by dogs. Keep your dog away from cherry plants. Apricot and plum pits also contain cyanide and should never be fed to dogs.
One of the most popular vegetable is potatoes and they are often found in quality dog foods. They may seem harmless to dogs, but unripe, green and raw potatoes usually contain solanine which is toxic to dogs. Solanine is a defense poison found in the potato skin, on the plant´s stems and leaves.
Not many people know that currants are toxic to dogs. Just like grapes and raisins, the toxicity is not necessarily dose-dependent and symptoms can occur with even small ingestions. Currants can cause severe renal failure. Cooking or baking does not reduce the risk of poisoning
Rhubarb is a common garden plant and is very delicious especially in pies. Rhubarb contains soluble calcium oxalates, which is bad for dogs. It can cause a sudden drop in calcium and kidney failure.