Why Chocolate Is Bad For Dogs

dog chocolate

Never consider chocolate as a reward.

Chocolate is poisonous to dogs. If ingested, it can lead to various medical complications and may even prove fatal for your dog. Always keep chocolate out of reach from your dog.

The toxic component of chocolate is theobromine. Dogs metabolize theobromine much more slowly than humans, allowing it to build up to toxic levels in their bodies.

The concentration of theobromine varies depending on the type of chocolate. In general, the darker and more bitter the chocolate the greater the danger.

How much chocolate is too much for a dog?

That depends on the type of chocolate, the size and weight of the dog and the amount consumed. A large dog can consume a larger amount of chocolate than a small dog before suffering from theobromine poisoning symptoms.

Use this Chocolate Toxicity Calculator if your dog has been eating chocolate.

Calculator provided by www.AskAVetQuestion.com.

Some of the symptoms of theobromine poisoning in dogs you might see:

  • Vomiting
  • Diarrhea
  • Irregular heartbeat
  • Restlessness
  • Rapid breathing
  • Muscle tremors
  • Pancreatitis
  • Seizures

Remember all dogs are different individuals and may respond differently to theobromine.  Always contact the vet for an advice.

 

Share

Hi :-) My name is Signe Kildetoft and I love pets and Animals. I have dog called Sammie and a cat named Andrea. You can read more about me by clicking here.

Recommended Posts

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *